Saturday 4 March 2017

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

It was a hard winter of training with temps ranging as low as -30C and as high as 6C, with lots of snow. I was really looking forward to getting into some warm temps and on the dirt.

Fellow racer and buddy Andrew Bovard (aka the animal) and I were making the trip to Arizona to race solo at 24 Hours in OP. We arrived a couple of days early and got some good riding in on the course.




















Unfortunately the weather turned for race day with high winds, hail and rain.....classic! We were unsupported so things were going to get interesting. Luckily we had a local racer, who we met a few years back secure us a pit and lend us a canopy. This was a huge help, thanks Al and Coach for putting us in touch!

The pit

The weather started to come in pretty much at the start line followed by hail 3 laps in.  Not much you can do about the weather you just have to push on, ride smart and manage the layers. I was feeling pretty good and setting a consistent pace.



The first time came in to change out layers they had already got wet in my bag. I pulled everything out and laid it out in the vehicle. After sorting out that mess back on the bike and into the night.  I was still feeling pretty good but riding into the high winds had taken a bit of a toll.

More layers and changed out lights during the wee hours of the morning. Good timing as my Diablo basically went dead as soon as I was doing the swap. The S-Works Fate was still running well and my nutrition was on track with Infinit.

The sun started to come up, which is one of my favourite times of the race. I noticed some other girls around me, one who I raced with on and off at the beginning of race. I had no idea my position but could feel the pressure and need to keep moving and get out of the pit quickly. I struggled to get lights and clothes off with cold and wet hands. Left most of my layers on and didn't even bother to lube the chain.


Back and forth for the next few laps and had a sense things were close. Rode as strong as I could completing 14 laps, 224 miles all up grabbing 4th place spot on the podium. Race was close with only 6 minutes between 1st & 2nd and 5th was only 7 mins off me! Overall a good race with some tough conditions and fast women. Andrew also placed 4th in a strong field!




















Of course the weather was great the day after and the rest of the trip ;-). Enjoyed some awesome coffee at Savaya, Mexican and beverages before heading home.










Thanks to Infinit Nutrition Canada, Specialized Canada and Crankbrothers for your support. Also to Coach Shaun for your invaluable feedback, encouragement and big TSS weeks (I think ;-). I am really looking forward to the rest of the race season.

No comments:

Post a Comment